Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Dispelling a Myth


Hey all,

Sorry this post is late; I was out of town this weekend!

I'd like to talk a little about the myth that people with small breasts are less likely to get breast cancer. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY FALSE and should never influence whether or not you get a lump checked or whether you do monthly self-exams. In fact, men can and do get breast cancer too.

There are advantages and disadvantages to having small breasts when it comes to breast cancer detection. An advantage is that it is much easier to self-detect; lumps are VERY easy to feel. A disadvantage is that there is not as much tissue to compress for a mammogram (which is uncomfortable). Doctors claim that people with breasts of any size can get mammograms. One thing about small breasts that makes mammograms harder is that less of the breast tissue is fat. It is easier to find abnormalities behind fat than it is behind denser breast tissue. For this reason, self-exams are crucial! Check out this FAQ site called Imaginis... they have a section specifically answering questions about small breasts and mammograms: http://www.imaginis.com/breasthealth/mammography_small_breasts.asp.

My mother is a two-time breast cancer survivor. She had to have chemotherapy, radiation, and ultimately two mastectomies. As her daughter, I am automatically put in a high-risk class for getting cancer myself. I found a lump the summer of 2008 using self-detection(immediately freaked out and thought I was going to die). I went to my doctor, she found what was concering me, told me what she thought it was (a fibraednoma... hard tissue build-up, NOT malignant). I went to the Breast Care Center at UVA hospital and had it removed (just wanted the damn thing out of me). I now have a huge scar on my right breast as a daily reminder of the whole experience, and as a reminder to keep checking myself. I thought the scar was ugly and awful at first, but now I've gotten used to it and see it as unique. It's such a small scar compared to my mother's many.

I would like to stress that women OF ALL AGES should be checking themselves on a montly basis. It's not hard; you can find directions and pamphlets in any doctor's office or online: http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/testing/types/self_exam/bse_steps.jsp?gclid=CK6Uheur-p8CFRIeDQodcgH8Vw.

Also, if you have a history of breast cancer in your family like I do, be sure to get your gyno or other doctor to perform a thorough exam on you once a year. It's not fun, but it's so worth the peace-of-mind.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ryan...I just found your blog and love it!! I had a non cancerous lump taken out! I am proud of my scar! Breast Cancer is not something to mess with...great job making people aware!

    ReplyDelete